Saturday 6 April 2013

The Book Thief

Have you read The Book Thief? I first it read years ago when it was first published in England (I remember I loved it so much I emailed the author, Markus Zusak, who replied! I was excited.). Ever since then I've recommended it to anyone who asks (and indeed, to some who don't), but I realised that I could barely remember what happened in it, apart from the basics. I only remember the feeling after I'd read it. So, I reread it today, and was struck again - perhaps even more sov- by how beautifully written and staggeringly good it is. I also wept my face off.

So, here I am, recommending it to you. It was first published in Zusak's native Australia as an adult book, and it was subsequently published in America as a children's book. Some of the themes are pretty gruelling (it is, after all, concerning Nazi Germany), but written in such a human way that they are not frightening. Still, maybe under-12s shouldn't read it...

I implore you to give it a try.

Here's the cover (picture from amazon):

Enjoy.

E xxx

1 comment: